Donald Trump's court trial recording- a violation or not?

     As we know, former president Donald Trump, has been in the public eye for many allegations that are now being taken to trial. These allegations and criminal investigations include fraud that relates to overturning the result of his presidential election, mishandling classified material after he left the white house, and more investigations he is facing. He has denied all these charges and allegations against him.    

     In many court trials, for example Depp vs. Heard, the trial is recorded and shared with the public. News organizations  have been pleading with the judge in charge of Trump's court trial to allow the courtroom recordings to be released to the public. But of course, it has been impossible to get the judge to agree as they are using rule 53 which states that they cannot broadcast any judicial proceedings from the courtroom. NBC news is saying that if they delay the release of the recording it is still within the rule to allow it to be shared as it can be used for posterity

    I believe it is important for us the public to be able to see the trial, even if it is delayed for months, as we can use it for future references. It can be used to teach and explain historical events such as this trial. The court has publicized other court recordings for posterity/learning experience for the future such as Bill clinton's case. So why not with this case? It allows for accurate information to be spread instead of misinterpreting and suggesting things that are not true. 

    The hope for the judge to allow such thing will not be an easy battle. But it's important for the public to be aware of such things as this trial as it does affect many things. It mainly affects how people may view the government after the verdict if it is found that the 2020 election was in fact influenced by Donald Trump. It could create panic and more distrust in the government, but it could also be an opportunity for the voting system and voting in general to have new rules and perhaps for the people to get more of a say. 

Comments

  1. Gisselle, this is a well articulated article. You gave the facts and explained your views on it. I for one have learned something new. I might seem like the devils advocate when I say this, but as much as this might affect us greatly as U.S residents, I believe that it is still in Trumps right not to expose to the public the process of the trial. Considering our rights for information, I think it is important and realistic to share the final decision of the court to the public. However, I think the process itself which might take months should be his right to reveal it or not.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would agree that the public should be able to view the trial— if not for historical posterity, then for the drama of it all. A former president is being taken to court for trying to overthrow an election... this is important stuff! I also agree with your point that by allowing the trial to be seen by people with their own eyes in order to combat the spread of false information. In today's news climate, this should be a top priority for anyone who cares about the public's knowledge.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment